Monday, January 3, 2011

Tour Guide Update

I forgot to mention: our tour guide has become unexpectedly sick and has been replaced by her mother. Her mom (don't know her name yet) is a prominent journalist in Vietnam and is married to an American attorney who lives in the San Francisco area. Although I'm sure the college students would've preferred to have the younger tour guide who knew all the hip places for college students to visit, I think I may find the journalist a better resource for information. She seems very nice, and probably knows all the movers and shakers in the country. she has a very matter of fact attitude which is very funny. I asked her about the demolition of many of the illegal neighborhoods that have been built by immigrants from the countryside who migrated to the city. When I asked, "Where will they go?", she replied, "Who cares?" That seems to be the sentiment of the government, and perhaps everyone else other than those who experienced the forced evictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment